This email was sent to all entrants on June 10. If you are an entrant and did not receive this, please check your spam folder.
As you may have seen on our Facebook page or in our Twitter feed, the Western States Trail is now completely open with the exception of the Swinging Bridge just below Devil’s Thumb. What that means for you is you get to ford the North Fork of the Middle Fork of the American River with the aid of a cable at about mile 46 as runners did on Memorial Day weekend. It is currently above shorts level, but it may drop by race day. It will feel very good on race day.
We can still use some help to assure our research will be successful this year. Here’s what you can do:
1. If you have not already done so, please take a moment to go the link http://goo.gl/KXEH4X to complete a short survey related to the psychology study.
2. Please consider participating in the study on gastrointestinal (GI) distress by contacting Taylor Valentino (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Dr. Kristin Stuempfle (email@example.com).
3. Please consider participating in the study on cardiac function by contacting Dr. David Oxborough firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. Please plan to get a blood draw after finishing the race. You will get an email within a few hours providing your results.
5. Please find us in the finish line medical tent if you have had vision issues during the race.
6. Please complete our post-race questionnaire on GI distress and hydration that you will receive by email after the race.
Details of each study are available at http://www.wser.org/2014/05/21/2014-research-activities/
This year there will be live video feed from many cameras on the course. In addition to the live feed, here is the course preview created by our friends at UltrasportsLive.TV
Montrail Ultra Cup
Western States is the final event of the 2014 Montrail Ultra Cup. 21 runners have gained entry into this year’s race by finishing top three (or four) at one of the five qualifying races. If you finished at least one of these races and have not signed up, you still have time.
General Information Form
If you haven’t filled out the general information form, please take a moment and do so right now. It feels good to hear Tropical John Medinger thank your crew and pacers and say whatever you want when you run those final 250 meters around the track at Placer High School.
Here is a link to the 2014 WS Race Program. A printed copy will be available for you at Squaw Valley when you arrive.
Enjoy the countdown to the race. I won’t tell you how many days until Dr Lind fires the shotgun because you probably already know.
I will send you one final email the week of the race.