New 2015 Qualification Standards
- 100K finish in under 16 hours or;
- 100M finish in time allowed by race.
We have limited the number of qualifying races to the largest trail 100 milers domestically, and the largest 100Ks that are also of significant difficulty. The 100K distance aligns better internationally. Worldwide, we’ve included the largest races but also have the goal of geographic diversity so runners from anywhere in the world have an opportunity to run a qualifying race. Please see the Qualifying Races list.
The 2015 qualifying run must be run from Monday, November 11, 2013 through Sunday, November 14, 2014.
2014 Qualification Standards
In completing a qualified event, one of the following minimum times must be met:
- 50 miles in under 11 hours
- 100 kilometers in under 15 hours
- 100-mile trail race within the official cutoff
Western States reserves the right to determine whether or not a race is a qualifying event. Current WS Board policy imposes, but is not limited to, the following restrictions:
- Timed events, 12- or 24-hour events, triathlons and adventure races are not eligible.
- For USA events: Only individually timed 50-mile runs, 100K runs and 100-mile runs can be considered.
- For international events: Some distance exceptions (other than 50m/100k/100m) are allowed. Note: No adjustments or modifications can be made to the qualifying standards to accommodate non-standard distances. For example, the maximum qualifying time for a 55 mile event remains as under 11 hours, the 50-mile maximum.
- Events must have a dedicated website that provides clear access to event location, distances, schedule and results information. Event results must be available in English.
Generally speaking, events that are not (or no longer are) qualifiers either are deemed to be too small or not difficult enough to be a WS qualifier.
Updates to the WS Qualifying Runs List
The WS Qualifying Runs List applies only to the associated year-long qualifying period that opens each November. The revised list for the next following Run is published on this site by November 1.
WS does not receive any payment or other benefit in exchange for placing an event on its list of Qualifying Runs.
2014 Qualification Information
The Run is June 28-29, 2014.
Refer to the 2014 WS Qualifying Runs List for the list of approved qualifying events.
All runners registering for the 2014 lottery must complete a qualifying run between Monday, November 12, 2012 and Sunday, November 10, 2013. Note: A run is considered to be within the qualifying period based solely on its start date. There will be no exceptions to the qualifying window.
If you have completed a qualifier, but the results have not been posted online (preferably with ultrasignup) within a reasonable length of time, contact the event’s RD. If your qualifying time is not available to us online by the end of the application period your name will not be entered into the lottery.
Proof of Qualification is established when the applying runner selects their valid qualifier during the 2014 WS online registration process.
“Invites” will be sent to all “automatics.” prior to the lottery.
2014 Service Requirement Information
Eight hours of volunteer work is required from each participant prior to the event. The eight (8) hours of trail work or volunteering at an organized ultra marathon or run must occur between March 1, 2013 and May 15, 2014. The Service Requirement Form(s) must be received by May 15, 2014. There will be no exceptions.