Current Sign-up Sheets
No sheets currently available at this time.
- The United States Forest Service requires that volunteers submit a liability release form before the work party. New forms must be filed annually, so if you think you’ll join us on federal land please fill out the “Special Requirement” form as described below. Forms will not be accepted on the day of the work party so you must do this ahead of time or you will not be allowed to work.
- Runners who wish to complete their 2013 Service Requirement will be credited with eight hours if they commit to a full day of work (arrive on time and stay until completion – typically around 1:30 pm) at the February, March, and April work parties. The May and June work parties satisfy the 2014 requirement.
- Runners who need mandatory hours for another race should bring their respective forms for signature by a board member. Only one race per workday will be credited.
- Meeting locations will continue to be Lower Quarry parking lot or Stone’s Brew Coffee House in Foresthill, depending on the site of the work. Directions to the work day meeting place will be posted on the individual sign-up sheets once the work site has been determined. Parking passes will be provided for Lower Quarry when you arrive.
- Tools are provided for all volunteers. Be sure to wear appropriate clothing (long pants, work gloves, trail shoes/work boots). Bring water, snacks. Lunch will be provided at the conclusion of the work.
- Changes including cancellation due to weather will be posted . A notice will not be sent so you need to check this site before traveling to the work day for last minute changes.
- Be sure to check out our Trail Stewardship page which describes our mission, purpose, and other important information about trail work on the Western States Trail.
Special Requirement for those doing volunteer trailwork on Federal land:
The U.S. Forest Service requires its official volunteer form (OMB 0596-0080) to be filled out by anyone doing trail work on federal lands. This requirement applies to any portion of the Western States Trail above Foresthill.
Download a copy of the form HERE (pdf). Each volunteer must submit a separate form and have it on file each year.
On the first page,
- In the Site Name/Project Leader box: Enter Western States Trail/Mary Sullivan.
- in the Name of Volunteer or Group Leader box: Enter your name.
- Complete the remaining personal information in Section 1.
- In the Description of service to be performed box: Please highlight and copy the following text and then paste it into the box…
Volunteer work includes trail maintenance using hand tools, monitoring trail conditions, maintaining trailhead information boards, and trash clean up. Trail maintenance includes removing trail side vegetation, digging out rocks, maintaining trail tread, and maintaining or installing water bars and drainage dips. Personal Protective Equipment will be worn and the Job Hazard Analysis (JHA) reviewed and signed.
On Page 2, check the applicable box re: your medical condition. If you need to explain a medical condition, please contact either Mary Sullivan or Kay Edens at the USFS Foresthill office (530-478-6254) and type the name of whoever you speak with in the space titled, “Name of Agency Official.”
If you choose to mail/fax your form…
Once you have filled in your form, print two copies and sign them in space called, “Signature of Volunteer”. Send one copy to the U.S. Forest Service office either by mail or fax. The address is:
Tahoe National Forest
American River Ranger District
22830 Foresthill Road
Foresthill, CA 95631
The fax # is 530-367-2992.
If you choose to email your form…
Sign the form electronically and email a copy of your updated PDF file to the Foresthill USFS office. This option requires that you supply a digital ID. If you do not yet have one, click the link in the signature field and follow the directions for creating a new digital ID. Please do NOT email your PDF unless it is digitally signed.
Be sure to print a hard copy to bring to the volunteer event.
If your signed form is sent less than 5 business days before your planned volunteer work date, please call the Forest Service to confirm receipt at 530-478-6254, or email your query to Mary Sullivan at the USFS office.
Be sure to bring your copy with you to the volunteer event.
Thank you for your patience in complying with this requirement. It is very important to the agency, and they are important to us!