The Western States Endurance Run is committed to strengthening our tradition as the world’s preeminent 100-mile trail run.
- Set the standard for personal challenge and event organization of 100-mile endurance runs
- Consistently provide a safe, supportive venue for challengers to test their limits
- Support and promote medical research to increase understanding of the effects of endurance sports on the human body
- Support our communities through scholarships, volunteerism and cooperative partnerships
- Respect for every athlete, volunteer and crew member who participates in the Western States Endurance Run
- Responsibility to our communities
- Commitment to medical research
- Concern for the environment and stewardship for the land through which the Western States Endurance Run passes
The Western States Endurance Run maintains a tradition of community involvement. Since its inception, the Run has supported local communities through scholarships, participation in and donations to community service programs, membership in community organizations, and trail maintenance.
Our contributions include the following:
- One million dollars in retail sales annually to Placer County restaurants, motels and hotels, gasoline stations, grocery stores and other retailers.
- An annual donation to the Placer High School athletic department and scholarship program, the California Conservation Corps, the Foresthill Trails Alliance, and the Sweep Riders of the Sierras.
- In a coordinated effort and partnership with the Western States Trail Foundation and the U.S. Forest Service, funding trail projects and providing and managing countless hours annually to trail maintenance and improvements.
- The WSER maintains membership in the Auburn Chamber of Commerce, Foresthill Chamber of Commerce, Golden West Historical Society, Endurance Capital Task Force Committee and is affiliated with the Foresthill Trails Alliance.
- The WSER out-sources a variety of its needs to businesses in the Auburn Area.
The Western States Endurance Run is committed to supporting basic, applied, clinical, and behavioral research associated with the event. This includes research directly applicable to ultramarathon running, as well as research using the event as a model for other conditions. Through a formal research proposal application and review process, the Western States Endurance Run awards several thousand dollars each year to support this research. Details of the process, proposals that have been supported, and publications that have resulted from the research are detailed on the Research page.
WS Trail Stewardship
The Western States Endurance Run takes seriously its role as the trail steward of one of the greatest and most revered endurance challenges in the world today. It is our goal to conserve and contribute to the management of the Western States Trail and surrounding environs in a manner that balances local, state and federal agency priorities, respects historic conditions and promotes responsible public use and safety. For information on how to get involved see our Trail Stewardship page.
Donate to WSER
If you would like to donate money to WSER you may do so via the link below.