A huge sincere thank you to the WSER community at large for your offers toward American Fire relief! This is what makes this race and trail so uniquely special.
Here is the current situation with American Fire Western States Trail recovery.
The WSER Foundation has been meeting with USFS Tahoe American District management and the Tevis Foundation (WSTF) on a regular basis to get a complete understanding of the fire damage. We have a joint foundation and agency team in place called the Western States Joint Trail Team (WSJTT). To date here is the status:
- The fire affected the trail from Little Bald Mtn to Deadwood (~mile 29 to mile ~48). The fire was selective, i.e. some areas were burned and others not.
- The trail physically has been impacted in several sections (erosion, debris, rock fall and fire suppression), especially Pucker Pt and in the North Fork of the Middle Fork of the American River (Swinging Bridge) canyon.
- The WSJTT has given USFS a task priority matrix, specific to the Western States Trail, with the goal to have the trail open for the events next year (WSER and Tevis)
- All hazard trees on this impacted section of the trail have been removed by USFS
- The Swinging Bridge has structural damage (wood and steel). Awaiting final USFS engineer assessment. We have a river crossing contingency plan in place for next year in the event the bridge is unusable.
- The trail is still closed from Deadwood east to Little Bald Mtn.
- Our WSJTT is awaiting approval for a USFS led on-site visit (October) and the ability to mobilize our emergency experienced volunteer trail crew at a moments notice (October and November).
- In the spring (March), all Western States Trail work volunteer events will be focused on American Fire recovery. These events will be posted on wser.org in January/February so if interested please sign up.
If you are interested in helping financially: Send check to
American Fire – WS Trail Repair
PO Box 99 Auburn, CA 95604
Donations are tax deductible (WSER Tax ID #094-2902794).Again thank you for generous interest and support.
Western States Endurance Run Foundation