Greg Soderlund, who passed away in April 2016, was Race Director of Western States from 2000-2012. In honor of his memory, the Run will reserve one spot in the race each year for a runner who is at least 60 years old on race day.
The Greg Soderlund Silver Legend Runner will be selected from qualified runners who have met all of the Run’s qualification criteria, based on their contributions to the sport of ultrarunning in general and to Western States in particular.
Eligible runners wishing to be considered for this entry should enter the lottery and send a resume enumerating their contributions to the Race Director not later than November 15. The winner of the award will be announced at the lottery.
The 2018 recipient of the Silver Legend Entry is Bob Becker, 73, from Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Bob is very active in the Florida ultra scene, founding and directing the Keys 100, Palm 100, Peanut Island 24, and the Everglades Ultras. Over the past ten years, these races have introduced thousands of new runners from Florida and beyond to the joy of ultramarathon running. Well over $100,000 has been raised for “The Cancer Foundation of the Florida Keys”. Many other charities have benefitted, as well.
The 2017 and first recipient of the Silver Legend Entry is Scott Mills, 65, from Oceanside, CA. This is a summary of some of his contributions to the sport of ultrarunning and WSER in particular.
- Current Race Director, San Diego 100.
- Directed Bull Run Run 50 Mile for 9 years.
- In charge of course marking at MMT 100 for 9 years as an assistant RD.
- Created and RD’d the Noble Canyon 50K for 5 years.
- Co-RD for the Mt Laguna Trail Marathon.
- Board member of the San Diego Ultarunning Friends (SURF) Club which has over 250 members.
- Volunteered at many other ultras in California over the years, and still does.
- Has worked at Lyon Ridge, El Dorado Creek, White Oak Flat, Devil’s Thumb, webcast team at WSER.
- Has applied for WSER entry every year since 1982 and every year not accepted has mentored, paced, or crewed for others when not volunteering.
- Has helped the WSER RD with qualifier vetting of lottery applicants for several years.