The 2014 Western States Lottery was held on Saturday December 7, 2013 at the Placer High School Auditorium. Around 250-300 people braved the snow and ice to attend.
This year we had 127 automatic spots that were either designated pre-lottery or are reserved from the 400 total we will accept into the race.
- Top Ten 18 of the top ten men and women are returning
- Raffle 14 from previous two raffle drawings
- Race Admin 29 aid stations and other race administration roles
- Special Consideration 2
- Foreign Consideration 12 – We accepted 12 foreign entrants pre-lottery for global representation
- MUC 23 (out of 30) – There are five races where top three men and women can qualify. We are estimating that not all will be taken.
- UTWT 6 – Ultra-Trail World Tour spots for elite athletes
- Gordy 1 – The founder of the race from 1974
- Board of Trustees 3
- Tenth Finishes 4 – Andy Jones-Wilkins, Erik Skaden, John Nichols, Tom Green are all going for their 10th finish
- Sponsors 15
We pulled 270 names from the barrel of 4307 tickets and 2704 unique names in front of the live audience. This is how many were chosen from each ticket group.
- 101 one ticket holders selected
- 78 two ticket holders
- 45 three ticket holders
- 27 four tickets holders
- 19 five ticket holders
We then did a special drawing from members in the audience for an additional 3 spots. These went to Deno Dean, Dawn Hitchcock, and Tina Frizner.
Here is the video of the Lottery from start to finish.
Here are the results of the Lottery in order drawn.
Congratulations to all accepted runners.
Next year’s lottery will be held on December 6, 2014 at Placer High School in Auburn.