Thank you for your interest in covering the 45th running of the Western States 100-Mile Endurance Run to be held on June 23-24, 2018. Please read the terms and conditions and then submit the form at the bottom of the page to request press credentials for the 2018 race. If you are part of a coverage team, each other member must also complete this form.
If you have submitted your application for media credentials they will be issued around June 15.
Terms and Conditions
The Western States 100-Mile Endurance Run is pleased to provide media credentials for members of the Working Press, Freelance Media and Special Projects:
- Working Press: Individuals who are in the business of newsgathering as their primary source of revenue. Members of the working press are defined as those who are full-time, paid employees or representatives of known and established media organizations, including newspapers, magazines, wire services, television stations, radio stations, and websites.
- Freelance Media: Individual journalists, photographers, videographers, or Internet reporters who are on a specific assignment from a known, established media organization.
- Special Projects: Individuals or groups who are involved in the creation of any film project, no matter what medium, including but not limited to documentaries, student projects, feature films, festival films, and personal projects following an individual runner.
Media credentials are not intended for those who sell stock photographs, footage, or images. Credentials will not be issued to those involved in commercial ventures, unless written consent and specific approval is obtained from WSER.
All applicants must complete the WSER Press Accreditation which includes a section to detail coverage plans. All Special Projects must be prepared to submit a synopsis, talent/crew list, distribution plan, and budget, if requested. Access to certain areas may require additional personal information.
2. Application Deadline
Applications for all media categories, along with requested supplementary documentation must be submitted by June 4, 2018.
NOTE: Commercial filming, commercial photography and Special Projects (video or film) permits must also include a special use permit from the United States Forest Service, which must be requested from the Forest Service at least sixty (60) days prior to the event, which means no later than April 23, 2018.
For more information regarding Forest Service commercial filming and commercial photography permit requests, contact Eli Rosenstein elirosenstein at fs.fed.us American River Ranger District, 22830 Foresthill Road, Foresthill, CA 95631, 530-367-2224.
3. Approval Process
Media representatives will receive notification of credential approval via mail. Receipt of credentials in prior years does not guarantee credentials for this event. Credentials will be mailed the week of June 11-15 unless prior arrangement have been made.
4. Credential Usage
WSER media passes and credentials are non-transferable: They may not be given or loaned to another person. Credentials must be carried by the person named on the crecential at all times during the Event. WSER reserves the right to revoke credentials at any time.
5. Credential Access
Credentials grant access to the following events and locations:
- Pre-race runner clinics, medical check-in, trail briefing on Thursday and Friday of race week in Squaw Valley;
- Starting line in Squaw Valley;
- Only those aid stations on the WSER course that are open to runners’ crews. Areas/aid stations that are open to media access, therefore, are: Squaw Valley start; Duncan Canyon; Robinson Flat; Dusty Corners; Michigan Bluff; Foresthill; Rucky Chucky (near); Green Gate; Pointed Rocks; No Hands; Robie Point; Placer High School finish. Please note: Due to space limitations and safety considerations both at the start line in Squaw Valley and finish line at Placer High School, media must check in with start/finish line managers at both locations and follow directions regarding camera placement locations. Failure to comply with this request will result in immediate expulsion from the area and loss of future credential privileges.
- Aid stations that are not open to runners’ crews are allowed media access only with prior written consent from race organizers;
- Finish line in Auburn, Calif.
6. General Coverage, Policies
All credential holders must observe the following rules:
- Observe any added instructions included with the credential when issued. It is the credentialed media’s responsibility to be familiar with all issued instructions.
- Keep a respectful distance from any scene of a medical emergency. In the case of a severe injury, or any case requiring rescue or evacuation, efforts will be undertaken by Event personnel using standard protocols. Do not release images or descriptions of these situations or the names of those affected without the specific permission of the Run Director or his/her designated on-scene situation manager.
- Respect and adhere to any directions or restrictions from WSER aid station captains and aid station personnel. These directions and restrictions may well exceed or modify the restrictions that were listed on credential instructions or enumerated in previous briefings or conversations. Such instructions are not subject to negotiation, appeal, or arbitration.
- Do not provide aid or act as a crew for any runner entered in the race; failure to comply will result in immediate disqualification of the runner.
Accredited media who fail to adhere to the above guidelines will have their credentials confiscated and will run the risk of losing privileges to cover WSER events in the future.
As a condition of accreditation, images and footage may not be sold to third parties. All photographs taken at the event are solely for use by the organization for which an individual is credentialed, unless he/she is otherwise given written consent by WSER.
The use of such photographs for advertising or any other commercial or merchandising purposes, such as books, posters, cards or in any medium or manner whatsoever without prior written consent of WSER is prohibited.
Credentials Request Form
In consideration of the grant to me of the above requested Media Credential, I hereby, for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, and anyone else entitled to act on my behalf, WAIVE AND RELEASE the Western States 100-Mile Endurance Run, its board of trustees, foundation and all sponsors and their respective agents and representatives, from any and all present and future claims and liabilities of any kind, known or unknown, for any personal injury or property damage that I may incur in connection with the 2018 Western States 100-Mile Endurance Run or any related events/activities, even though any such claim or liability may arise out of negligence or fault on the part of any of the foregoing persons or entities.